Saturday, September 11, 2010

Technology Qualms


The readings that we had in class really made me think about technology and different generations.  All of the articles shared a common theme…technology.  There is so much technology today that it really affects our lives.  While it can be very helpful to us, it can also be hurtful in a way. 

            Technology has its advantages as well as its disadvantages.  Cell phones are extremely helpful when it comes to getting in contact with someone when there are no other phones around.  Computers are a great resource to have when doing research or just finding something online because it is quick and easily accessible.

            Along with thinking about the advantages to having such high technology, I also started to think about problems with technology.  From personal observation, I have noticed a lot of younger kids starting to get cell phones.  I have heard of kids getting cell phones as young as 9 years old!  I had to ask myself what a nine-year-old girl needed a cell phone for.  When I asked her why she had a cell phone at age 9 she responded, “I just asked my mom for one and she got it for me”.  I was floored when the now twelve-year-old told me that.  I didn’t get my first cell phone until I was about 12 and it was only for emergencies so that I could get in contact with my mom if I ever needed to.

            Kids used to go outside every day, all day; that’s how their time was spent.  However, we see less and less of that now because there are so many video games and computer games that kids are almost addicted to.  Technology almost seems to be taking over childhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment