Saturday, November 6, 2010

Inflating Inflation


I really don’t think that grade inflation is a good thing.  It has not been good in my own personal experiences and I don’t think that students should have that safety net of knowing that even if they don’t do well on something, their grades will still be okay because professors will just inflate them.

As I said in class on Tuesday, in my Junior year in high school I did not do well in math.  I would fail quizzes and tests and one time I went to my teacher to talk to him about it.  He had me sit down with him and he helped me correct the problems I got wrong and ended up changing my grade from a 32 to an 84!  I thought it was great at the time and I really took advantage of that.  However, when I got to my Senior year and had no idea what was going on because I had never actually learned what I had needed to the year before.  I did a lot worse in my math class senior year and realized that I could no longer rely on teachers changing my grades for basically no reason other than to raise my grade and make it seem like I’m doing better than I actually am. 
imgres.jpeg

I really don’t think that it’s fair for the other students who actually try and earn their good grades for professors to raise other kids’ grades.  In my math class this year, there are a lot of kids who don’t really try to do well because they just don’t care.  I used to be like that, but now I am actually trying and it is paying off.  I have a B- in math, which is unheard of for me and I am really proud of myself because I know that I deserve the grades I am getting in that class.  When we get tests back a lot of kids in my class will ask if there will be a curve on the grading and I sit there thinking it’s not fair for their grades to be higher because they don’t care, they don’t try.  I think that grade inflation will encourage students to not try as hard in their classes because they will have in the backs of their minds that their professors will raise their grades even though they do not deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment