Saturday, November 27, 2010

Food Will Bring Us Together


Food is a staple when my family gets together.  We are always eating at every family function.  My mom’s side of the family is Slovak and my dad’s side is Italian.  Slovaks like to eat, and Italians like to eat while they wait to eat.   Therefore, food is a must.  When there is food, people will gather together to eat and talk and catch up with one another.  I am very thankful that my family is so loving when we share a meal together.  Like all families we have our spats, and like the majority of Italian families we are very loud, which makes it seem like we are having huge fights, but at the end of the day we all love each other and we know it…there are no grudges.

I have always been very curious about why we only have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner one day a year.  Everyone always loves the food at Thanksgiving, but we never really eat it any other time of the year.  In watching all of the preparation though, it made me realize that so much time and effort goes into preparing a Thanksgiving meal and it is not something that would be easily done every day.  I also think that having Thanksgiving dinner one day a year makes it all the more special, as well as something to really look forward to every year.

It is important to my family to have food when we are together because the food is what brings us together.  Some people may be in the living room watching tv, some may be in the kitchen making the food or socializing, but as soon as it’s time for dinner, everyone congregates to the kitchen table and sits down together as one family.  It is a great feeling to be around the people we love and share a good meal with each other.  

1 comment:

  1. Yea my family can get the same way shelby, but in the end of course we all love each other, or at least its thanksgiving so well forgive each other haha

    ReplyDelete